Don't read this book if you're not willing to listen to her guidance, if you're a feminist or easily offended. Eh, on the other hand, maybe you should. Dr. Laura is one feisty woman! She speaks how she feels, and I love her all the more for it. She's got a good head on her shoulders.I've always had the attitude that when you marry, you treat your husband like a king. You live to make his day just a little bit better. You don't criticize or belittle them. You help lift them up. You are affectionate with them, you allow them guy time, you love them for who they are.
My brother bought me this book as a gift. I think he knew how much I loved self-improvement books, PLUS he is a current huge fan of Dr. Laura. I have been waiting for it to come in the mail, and I got it just last night and have already read half of it. I love it!!
I'm so glad that my parents taught me the way they did. We rarely saw them fight. They were always affectionate and always loved eachother. They raised us in a loving, secure environment and it has directly affected my marriage to Alex. To be a wife is a wonderful thing. I haven't experienced being a mother yet, but I know that when I do- I will work at my marriage just the same. I recommend this book to ANY woman. These days there is such a "feminist" movement. Women who are mere housewives or treat their husbands well are weak, and are missing out on what's "truly important."
"How many women's mags talk about women's obligations to their men and children? Not many. The typical article is about deserving freedom: Day care vs. child rearing, sex out of wedlock vs. marriage, affairs vs. fidelity, and solo parenting vs. two parent homes are offered as entitlements for women." -Dr. Laura
I love my husband, and therefore want our marriage to be successful. I want there to be love and commitment. I want us to be eachother's first priority always. I'm determined to live that way to the best of my ability.
8 comments:
Rach! You are such a great wife. I love the way you think about marriage. If only half the women out there did. There would less divorce. Alex is so lucky! Just don't let him bop around on his bike. ;)
I love you Rachel, and I'm glad that you and I feel the very same about marriage, I'll give my all to you, just like I know you will for me. I will always love you. By the way, what the crap does "bop around on my bike" mean?
I'm proud of you for your dedication to marriage and to your hubby. :o)
My brother-in-law gave that book to me my first Christmas in the family and I'll admit I was completely offended. I don't have the highest regard for Dr. Laura and couldn't get through the book. I guess I agree with what she says but I don't like the way she says it. Maybe I am a feminist housewife... I believe women should be strong both in the home and outside the home and I feel like Dr. Laura wants everyone to revert to the 1950's housewife. Maybe I should give the book another shot. I do agree with your thoughts on how to treat your husband. And sorry - that turned into a bit of a rant. Have you seen Mona Lisa Smile?
It is a great book and you are a great woman:)
I agree with you on all counts. I really will try to give the book another shot and read it with a more open mind. Yes, I think you might like Mona Lisa Smile. It had a different message then I expected going into the movie and I think that is why a lot of people didn't like it. I really like Julia Stiles character. You should watch it and let me know what you think. :)
Good for you Rachel. Feminist thought has become un-feminine. A man who truly loves his spouse will treat her in such a fashion that she will not feel degraded by her wonderful calling as a mother. A loving wife is a blessing to a husband and the home where she nurtures the culmination of all of God's efforts; the family.
Yay!! Dr. Laura rules! and so do you, Rachel!
Post a Comment