Alex and I were given the opportunity to speak in church today (something I truly enjoy!) and the topic was either a General Conference talk from last session, or on Preach my Gospel. Talk about choices!! After a little searching, I chose L. Tom Perry's talk, "Mothers Teaching in the Home." I'm sure you know by now that my mother is absolutely fabulous- and everytime I even bring her name up in a talk, I cry. And I cry a lot.
I talked about several things that my mom did for us growing up, and all the subtle- yet sometimes not so subtle- principles she taught us. From the first story I told, the tears started.... there was a family that my sister, Jill, was babysitting when she was a teenager. (Note: this family was having a difficult time, single mother with I think 5 kids.) Jill went to make them food and noticed they hardly had a thing in their cupboards or refridgerator. She called my mom, who was the Relief Society president at the time, and she immediately, without question, called her counselors and went grocery shopping for this sweet family. I think my mom was surprised that I knew this story... because she never told it to me. I'm glad Jill did.
After that, I went into how she taught us to have high self-esteem by complimenting us, talking to us, and being affectionate with us. On our birthdays, she implemented a rule where we went around the table and every member of the family had to say a few things they like about the birthday person. It was difficult sometimes (especially if you were in a fight with that particular person as a child....) but I think it helped shape all of the children's relationships with eachother now. We all get along and compliment eachother easily.
She also would have us on various Sundays write a letter to someone in our ward telling them what we appreciate and admire about them. I absolutely LOVE that she did this, and I plan on doing it for our future little ones. I have since talked to various adults that we sent letters to, and they say they still have the the notes the "Russell kids" would write. What an amazing example my mother is. Truly....
So anyway, thanks Mom for being a good mother and making me cry. (The whole tear-up easily whilst speaking comes from her, too.)
Oh, and P.S. The Paul McCartney tickets sold out in 3 hours. Thanks to Alex's brother, Paul, we were able to get them. It was a close one.....
5.23.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yes, we have an incredible mom. No doubt. :D
Your mom is amazing from what you tell me. You are a very lucky girl to have her! :D
Thanks for sharing that you have such a good relationship with your mother and such a great example.
Post a Comment