1.22.2009

Can I just say?

That going to the temple by yourself gives a whole new meaning to making spiritual goals?


Wow...
"Do we periodically participate in all of the temple ordinances and thus receive the full blessings of vicarious work for our ancestors? Do we return to the temple often to receive the personal blessings that come from regular temple worship?"
-Gordon B. Hinckley



Regular temple worship. Alex and I do try to go at least once a month, and I would say we are mostly successful... but would I call that regular? Especially now, before we have kids? Especially now, where I live 15 minutes away from the nearest temple? Especially now, when I'm strengthening my testimony to be a rock for my husband and future children? No, in this juncture in my life, I would not say that is regular.
I've been feeling the lack of the Spirit in my daily routine. Yesterday while at work, I made the decision to go do a session straight after work. I haven't gone by myself before, and it was absolutely incredible. I love going with Alex, don't get me wrong, but when you are in the House of the Lord by yourself, it forces you to look inside, and see where you've been lacking.

Definitely some serious introspection involved.

I've decided that for the next couple months, I'm going to go to the temple once a week. Alex has school at night, so it gives me the perfect time to go. I feel it's going to get me back on track, and help me get through this rut I'm in. Also, there are many big decisions that will need to be made, and I want to make sure that we're following His council, and we're completely in tune with the Spirit.

It seems that I've felt the urge, or rather the need to go to the temple more often. Sometimes it's hard to just sit at home for a minute without thinking, "I should be at the temple right now." When I ignore it, it only becomes more persistant. Interesting how that works...

I am so grateful for the knowledge I have.

4 comments:

Dina said...

Rachel, who are you? Is this a totally differenet Rachel that just happens to look like the one i know? j/k....I am totally impressed by you! You are awesome! I don't even make it once a month!

Mamapierce said...

Once a week sounds like a very doable goal. If I lived closer (we're one hour away) I'd want to go that often, too! :o)

Sherilyn said...

I agree going to the temple by yourself does give you time to think and ponder and receive answers to you own questions. It is so special to be able to be in the House of the Lord

Live learn laugh said...

Love you lots! Thanks for all the good things you do and the example you are. I have no excuse not to make it to the temple more often.