1.27.2009

Simplify. Simplify. Simplify.

I always thought simplifying was just throwing away clutter and giving away clothes you don't wear anymore.


But.


I read an excerpt from a book about simplifying your life, and it showed me a whole different perspective. You can emotionally simplify! What an incredible concept! Having your mind cluttered with bad thoughts are just as bad- if not worse- than papers, books, old clothes and shoes.


What feelings do I harbor? Feelings of envy, anger at something a friend said in a thoughtless moment, variance of opinions, negative attitudes, regret, untrue assumptions, pride, hurt from feeling slighted, anger, resentment? Sadly I admit that all of those emotions I have been feeling. And not just recently, it's been over the past few months. It is hard for me to 'let go' of hurt, resentful feelings.
So I decided to do a emotional cleansing. I'm trying to not speak ill of anyone. Whether it's about someone from a long time ago that I don't even talk to anymore- or my every day interactions with friends, family, co-workers or strangers. I started on Saturday, and I've found that my anger about situations dwindle, my mood is enhanced, and I'm a lot more positive.


"Conversion basically represents the transformation from the 'natural man' to becoming the 'man of Christ'. It is labor that takes more than an afternoon."- Neal A. Maxwell
Since I began reading "Not my Will, but Thine" by Elder Maxwell, I've learned a lot about not only myself, but the Lord. My relationship with Him has grown in such a short time, and all it took was simple steps that I oft forgot to do. Remembering to pray, frequent temple worship, trying to improve my thoughts and actions, doing my best to pay attention and feel the Spirit during church.


I've been on such a spiritual high these past few weeks, and I find myself always starting my blog entry with something ordinary, and ending with me bearing my testimony of Christ. That's the wonderful thing about the Gospel! It can be attributed to any situation in life we are in, big or small.


Anyway, it will be a long process, but an amazing one. :)

8 comments:

Coach Heather said...

Wow! You are very intune with your spirit. Your words speak truth in ways that I'm not ready to comprehend yet. You are an example to all who know you:) I love ya Rachie cakes!! :)

Mamapierce said...

Wonderful post. I certainly could simplify my emotions. Thanks for the inspiring words. :o)

Brynnly and Alan said...

Thanks for posting this. Something that is so hard to do but so worth it! Love you miss you!

Mack Daddy said...

that is one of the best things i have herd that is a good idea to try to get rid of all the clutter emotions :) oh and thank you for dropping by you brighten up my day :)

whitney said...

Don't worry, I take it as a compliment. The way I see it, if you're friends with my brothers, you might as well be friends with me :)

As for the simplifying, what a great idea and so, so true. How often do we let negative feelings take over our psyche? Thanks for the motivation for some major de-cluttering.

Brynnly and Alan said...

You're such a nerd! I'm totally laughing right now! I love you too! I still need to post pics. If Alan would just hook up the freakin computer already!

KarsonK2 said...

I can tell by the last few Sunday conversations that you are doing a lot of introspection lately and planning for the future. I must commend you on that. We should often reflect on the past, look to the future, and then focus on the present.

Live learn laugh said...

Life is a journey and on that journey we should learn eternal truths that draw us nearer to Jesus Christ and ou Heavenly Father. Your comments on emotions we clog our life with are so true.This is one of those eternal truths. This has been a very frustrating week for me. Your comments have reminded me to have a positive attitude and get rid of negative emotions.Thanks, I needed this reminder! Love you!