7.30.2008

Alas.

"None of us knows what the next change is going to be, what unexpected opportunity is just around the corner, waiting a few months or a few years to change all the tenor of our lives." -Kathleen Norris

This post isn't going to specific, and may not make sense to anyone else but me... but I'm okay with that. It is my blog after all. :)

I've been having ups and downs with a certain situation over the past few month or so. It's difficult because it so directly affects Alex and I. It seems like a win-lose situation. One of us wins, the other sacrifices. If situation is reversed, it's the same. Making life-altering decisions are difficult enough single... now that we're both trying to decide what to do- it's twice as hard.

I have lived a life of selfishness. I've always seemed to "get what I want" in relationships of the past... and only cared about me. This is the only relationship I've had where I genuinely care about the other person more than myself. I love Alex more than I could convey in words. I've learned much from my wise mother. She has taught me to appreciate and love your husband with all your heart. Do things to make him happier, put him first. If you're a feminist- then you may disagree with that statement. But I will live each day for Alex, and go to bed hoping that I've made his day just a little bit better.

So, even though I have selfish wants.. I've got to put those aside for the interest of my husband. I know what he wants deep down, and I don't want him to be upset or hurt in any way. I would willingly put my wants and desires second for him.

Alas, another adventure begins. Our life continues on as it is now.. but with a different future ahead. One that we have no idea what will happen, but I guess that is how life turns out, huh?

One thing I've learned about life is it keeps going. It never stops, and it's very short.

2 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Excellent post. So, did you make a decision? I'm here if you want to chat. :o)

April said...

I know what you are talking about. I have had that same battle but have never got much consideration form Paul's side until this year. It is really hard being away from family. i miss mine all of the time especially when they are going through hard times I would love to be there in person instead of trying to keep up with it through phone calls. For what it is worth I am glad to have you here and to have another cohort in the family that is from the south!!:)