To a wonderful mother who has shown me exactly what I want to become.This is a candid shot of my mom at my wedding... but I think it describes her perfectly. This is how you'll usually see my mother. Laughing and being incredibly personable.
My mom has taught me more than I even realize. Growing up, until my dad got sick, she was a stay at home mom. Raising 6 kids and doing it all beautifully. She'd sit on the bench waiting as we got off the school bus. There would always be some sort of dessert awaiting as well. :)
She taught us kindness, and not expecting anything in return. She came up with an anonymous way to let families in the ward, or anyone else, that they were loved. She'd spend the day cooking lots of cookies, cakes and brownies, arrange them on a plate, and have us deliver them. We'd promptly ring the doorbell, and run away. Never did anyone find out who was doing it, and that was one of the greatest things I've ever been apart of.
She taught us how to be married and happy. Her and my dad were passionately in love, and because of that, we felt loved. They put eachother first, never criticized eachother, and did their best to raise us in a loving, happy environment. They did a better job than I'm sure they ever thought they would.

And the biggest thing she has taught me was when you get an answer to prayer.. have faith, and do it. There have been a million experiences-- big and small-- that she has taken chances and moved forward, running only on faith and an answer to prayer. This is such a strength to me. I know if I get an answer to prayer, she'll support me 100%. She knows how important it is.
Another reason? She has made Alex feel like he IS apart of our family. Not just an inlaw- a son. So many nights when Alex and I were dating we'd all sit around and talk in her apartment eating pizza. We'd talk for hours about absolutely anything. Memories, goals, trials, weaknesses, strengths, the Gospel... and she was interested in every word we said. She was always excited to see him, and loves him... as he loves her. She was excited for us to get married, and excited for our future. Now that I'm married, nothing has changed. In fact, she has supported me now more than ever.
I love my mom. I love her for having the courage and faith to join the church. I love her for raising us with love and teaching us about the Gospel. I love how she rarely missed church, and taught us that it's important to be active. I love how she gave us all the opportunity to be ourselves, and make our own decisions. I love how I know no matter what, I can call my mother and feel comforted in any trial I am facing.
Thanks, Mom. For always being there for me, and for being exactly who I want to emulate.
6 comments:
Happy Birthday Mom!!!
Aw, what a sweet tribute!
What a great post! Your mom sounds amazing!
I have only met your mom a few times, but can tell that she is as wonderful as you say - so personable and friendly :) Happy Birthday to her!
And P.S. ...me too! What a darn good catch Alex made :) You're amazing!
What a lucky girl! Your mom was really nice the couple times I met her.
What a great tribute to you mom. It is so great to have such wonderful role models in our life. Loved getting to know you better in Mexico.
Post a Comment