Well. I know that I've been having a lot of birthday dedications.. but I don't care. :) This is a particularly important birthday because it belongs to my dear father who passed away in 1999. (Handsome, isn't he?) There is so much to say about my dad. I truly believe that I was blessed with THE most amazing parents in the world. My dad was someone I always looked up to because I never heard anyone speak ill of him. He was well loved by everyone, and touched so many people's hearts with his generosity, kindness, dedication to the Gospel, love and sense of humor.
Since he passed away when I was only 10, sometimes it's hard to remember certain things about him. But there are other stories and traits that I'll keep with me always. The way he smelt, the way his face felt, the sound of his voice, and the way he looked in his sunday clothes.
During church, he'd let us crawl all over him.. play with his tie, hair, wedding ring, glasses... and all the while- he'd listen intently to the speaker. After Sacrament, he'd be a mess, but he wouldn't ever complain. He rarely complained about anything, actually. When his health was getting worse, he never slowed down. I never heard him say, "Why me?" He just took his trials and kept going.
He taught us the importance of being musical. I remember my sisters would sing harmony and I couldn't WAIT til I was old enough to learn. He and my mother were in a quartet with a couple from the ward, and they'd often put on shows during ward socials. So many times they'd all practice in the living room- and I would just sit and watch. He also wrote wonderful poetry. I often read them and it feels like he is still here.
He was 15 years older than my mom, so he was 50 years old when I was born. Many might say that having an old parent would be hard because he probably couldn't be as active with his children. I wouldn't change it. He was a true gentleman, and he was raised in a differen
t time period with different values. Plus, it allowed me to realize that love knows no age. :) It is a bit mind-boggling to know he'd be turning 70 today. It feels like only yesterday that we got that phone call saying they had found a heart for him. He was on the heart transplant list for years, and the chances were slim. But on that day, none of us thought about the chance he might not make it home. It wasn't an option. Before he left, he hugged us each individually and said, "Whatever happens, I'll always love you." After many surgeries and late nights, he passed away.
I have this journal I wrote in quite often during that time.. and I wrote "Today my dad died. I am going to miss him so much. I loved the smell of his cologne and the way he'd always hug me." It was a hard, dark time-- but knowing that I'll see him again one day brings tears to my eyes. He is amazing man. I miss ya, Dad. :)
7 comments:
He would have been a wonderful guy to know. I hope you guys enjoyed your spice cake! ((hugs))
Lovely post. I miss him, too. Sometimes it's hard to think that he doesn't know my hubby or children. But then, I like to think that he helped send Anna here to us. :o) Happy Birthday Dad!
Awe! You make me want to cry. You are so strong! Your dad seemed like an amazing man. Just imagine how it will be like to cross over to the other side of the veil and see him again! That will be so great!
Wow I think you really look like your dad:) I'm sure he misses you and is thrilled you are so happy. When should we get Christmas started???
That is such a cute picture of you and your dad - one of those things that you will always cherish. I have loved your "birthday dedications" and being able to learn more about your family. You are obviously surrounded by amazing people and it is very apparent to me that your dad and mom taught you well :)
I have some very fond memories of your dad and there are several times that I see or hear something and he comes to mind. I know that it must have been so hard for you to be so young and lose someone so special. I am sure he is happy with how you have turned into such a young lady. Happy Birthday Bro. Russell!
That was a great post. I am sorry that you had to go thru that. I have done it also. Its so difficult to have someod you love so much gone. My dad passed away a year before yours. Its crazy how long its been and how fast the time has gone. But atleast you know where he is and that Youll see him again.
Post a Comment