9.11.2008

In Memory

I couldn't sit here any longer and not pay tribute to those who died on this tragic day.

I'll never forget that day. I was in 8th grade, and every teacher was watching the news. At first, I thought it was just a horrific accident, but after the second plane hit, I couldn't believe what I saw. I recall my history teacher saying, "You all are apart of history. This is a tragic, memorable day. Never forget what happened today." I couldn't even fathom someone being so... heartless. It breaks my heart.
Now more than ever, I appreciate our country. The first couple of years after the attack, we had a great deal of patriotism in our country, but as time goes on- people forget. They don't remember how our freedom was challenged, and that many people died in the process.

We live in a society of great freedoms. We can believe what we want, worship where or how we want, have careers, families... we have opportunity. It's so much more than we realize, and we all need to open our eyes. What an incredible country we live in! I am so proud to be an American, and I hope that I continue to stay patriotic until the day I die. I will not take the freedoms I have for granted.
I love this country, and I will forever be grateful to those men who made freedom possible.

God Bless America.

4 comments:

MissGlimpseBlogSpot said...

OH I can't believe you were in the 8th grade-- I am such an old lady. We just visited Pearl Harbor a few weeks ago and I was thinking about 9-11. I just hope we are able to keep our country safe by keeping God close and never forgetting. I can't imagine all the prices paid for my freedom. I worked for the airlines back then and it was a life changing time.

MissGlimpseBlogSpot said...

You are on! I can't wait to Christmas it up this year. You could come help me put up the decorations??? We have a huge 12 foot tree. I will love to have a little cute sister to share the holidays with:)

Brynnly and Alan said...

Love this post! I can't believe you were in 8th grade! What a pup. ;) I don't really feel older than you but I do after reading this. hehe.

marlene said...

It's hard to believe that it has been 7 years - I wasn't even pregnant with Kaden at that time; Kelsie was 1. I have to remind myself each year that this is something that I need to teach them and tell them about - not something that they will have remember by being there. Thanks for the post :)